Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS)
The Illinois State Board of Education established a Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS) Advisory Committee comprised of early childhood experts to guide the state department of education as it moves forward with recommendations for developing a comprehensive kindergarten readiness assessment process.
The advisory is comprised of ISBE administrators, early childhood and early elementary teachers and administrators, assessment and data experts and other stakeholders. This committee is charged with guiding ISBE as it adapts and aligns an assessment tool for Illinois KIDS; providing background, research and advice on communications planning, professional development training, and financial resource needs; and offering expertise on how to best build a high quality data system that would support and improve children’s learning.
ISBE has selected the WestEd Center for Child and Family Studies (CCFS) as the contractor to provide services related to the development and administration of the Illinois Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS). WestEd will subcontract with the Berkley Evaluation and Assessment Research Center, Graduate School of Education, University of California Berkeley (BEAR Center) and together work in collaboration with the ISBE to develop KIDS.
KIDS is envisioned as a comprehensive process designed to provide information about children’s competencies across developmental domains over time and to inform whether Illinois’ kindergarteners have the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in school. WestEd will develop KIDS by adapting the Desired Results Developmental Profile – School Readiness (DRDP-SR) to align with the Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards, the Illinois Learning Standards for Kindergarten, the Social and Emotional Learning Standards, and the New Illinois Learning Standards Incorporating the Common Core for English Language Arts and Mathematics. The DRDP-SR is a comprehensive authentic assessment system that measures children’s progress toward desired outcomes. The WestEd website that you may access to read more about DRDP-SR is http://www.wested.org/desiredresults/training/.
- Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS) Pilot Program - Year 3
If your district is interested in being a Pilot during the 2014-15 school year, call 217/524-4835.
- Fast Fact: Information and Resources on Developing State Policy on Kindergarten Entry Assessment (KEA)
- KIDS Pilot “Getting Starting” Webinar PowerPoint – September 6, 2012 (Rev. 7/13)
- Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Stakeholder Committee Report to ISBE: A New Beginning: The Illinois Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS)
- Early Childhood - Kindergarten Corner Page
- A New Beginning: The Illinois Kindergarten Individual Development Survey
- KIDS Implementation Website
- Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS) Pilot Webinar (April 10, 2013) - This Webinar is for FY13 KIDS Pilot Districts Only
- KIDS Presentation at IASA Conference - October 18, 2012
- WEBINAR: Transmitting SIS Data to the Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS) Tech - October 12, 2012
- Illinois KIDS Advisory Committee PowerPoint Presentation June 18, 2012: Proposed Approach for Using the DRDP-SR Instrument with Illinois KIDS