ISBE DELL e-Broadcast Newsletter 2014.252-Critical Reminders and Resources for Educators
A news commentator of the past may have asked, “Have you ever wondered” about the etymology of the word “vortex”?
Latin in origin and a variant of vertex, http://www.etymonline.com tells us that a vortex is an “eddy of water, wind or flame”. Amid a whirlwind of activity, our newsletter will focus on assessment, comprehensive planning reminders, and professional development elements.
The World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) Consortium is seeking ACCESS test administrators to participate in a brief survey on the 2014 ACCESS for ELLs® test. For more information see the “2014 ACCESS for ELL Administration Survey” link at http://www.isbe.net/bilingual/htmls/access.htm.
Comprehensive Planning Reminders
FY15 Enrollment Summary and Ceiling Calculator Due January 31, 2014
The Enrollment Summary and Ceiling Calculator, Part I of the FY15 application for TBE/TPI/Title III funding, is due on January 31, 2014. You may create and submit an FY15 Enrollment Summary and Ceiling Calculator on IWAS. When submitting Part I, you must confirm that your district has uploaded complete and accurate English language learner (ELL) student data on the SIS.
After March 3, 2014, EL student data will be extracted from the Student Information System (SIS) to generate your district’s FY15 funding allotments for TBE/TPI and the Title III LIPLEPS and Immigrant Education Program. SIS data will be used to populate attendance center summaries and generate funding allocations in Part II of the FY15 application. Once this information is populated, it cannot be changed, so it is important to review your SIS data carefully.
The TBE/TPI and Title III Application (Part II) will be available on IWAS on May 1, 2014. It must be submitted to ISBE by June 30, 2014. For more information on the application process, please view the Division of English Language Learning webinar at: http://www.isbe.net/bilingual/htmls/grant-resources.htm.
Student Information System (SIS): Data Used for FY15 Funding Allocation
Multiple data elements are used to calculate district funding allocations. As you are reviewing your English language learner (ELL) student data on SIS for your FY15 Enrollment Summary and Ceiling Calculator, please pay close attention to the specific data elements listed below:
- LEP indicator - Select “Yes” for all students who are ELLs
- Class Periods Provided Per Week –Provide accurate periods of service for every ELL student. ELLs with Moderate and High levels of services are included in the TBE/TPI funding formula. ELLs with Low, Moderate and High levels of services are included in the Title III LIPLEPS funding formula.
- ELL Placement Entry Status – Provide accurate enrollment information for all English language learners. Only students with a placement of TBE-full time, TBE-part time and TPI are considered in the TBE/TPI and Title III LIPLEPS funding formulas. Students with a placement of Parent Refusal, Returning, or Other/Alternative will not be included in the funding calculation this year.
- Eligible for the Immigrant Education Program indicator: Select “Yes” for every student who meets the eligibility requirements for the Title III Immigrant Education Program. Eligible immigrant student means a student, ages 3-21, who was NOT born in any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico, and who has been attending schools in the U.S. for less than three full academic years.
Available on our Webpage: English Proficiency Definition and Part-Time TBE Placement Criteria
- Effective January 1, 2014, a student must obtain an overall composite proficiency level of 5.0 as well as a reading proficiency level of 4.2 and a writing proficiency level of 4.2 on the ACCESS for ELLs to be considered English language proficient. Any student that does not achieve the minimum composite, reading, and writing criteria is considered an English learner student and remains eligible for TBE/TPI services. Please see the full definition at http://www.isbe.net/bilingual/pdfs/proficiency-def-mod-memo0613.pdf
- Amended rules, Part 228, include changes in the criteria that a district may use to identify students eligible for part-time TBE placement. Amended rules (Section 228.30(c)(3) )are found at http://www.isbe.net/rules/archive/pdfs/228ARK.pdf . A chart summarizing the part-time TBE placement criteria can be found under our HOT TOPICS at: http://www.isbe.net/bilingual/default.htm .
We are excited to share two new ELL webinars that are available on our website. An “Introduction to English Learners” and “Second Language Acquisition” serve as introductions for ELL and general education teachers, administrators, and program directors who do not have prior experiences with ELs or as a refresher for more experienced teachers, administrators, or program directors. To view and share these webinars, see the “ELL 101 Series” under the Webinars and Presentations link at: http://www.isbe.net/bilingual/htmls/prof-dev.htm.