Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 2:32 PM
To: ISBENEWSINFO
Subject: Weekly Message from State Superintendent Randy Dunn 2-28-05
Good afternoon!

State Superintendent Randy Dunn has just returned from the Governors’ Education Summit in Washington, D.C.  We will distribute his conference overview as a special Superintendent’s Message later this week.

Items included in today’s message:

Policy statement regarding the application of NCLB sanctions

No Child Left Behind (NCLB) requires Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) to be computed for all public schools regardless of whether they receive Title I funds or not, and that certain sanctions be applied to schools receiving Title I funds if they have not made AYP for a specific number of consecutive years.

However, this raises the question of how sanctions for schools—i.e., Choice, supplemental educational services (SES), corrective action, and restructuring year one and restructuring year two—are to be applied when a district either chooses or is required to take a particular school out of Title I service, or either chooses or is required to place a school into Title I service during the span of years for which AYP is being determined.

A recent communication from the United States Department of Education (USDOE) indicates that states may make their own determinations in this matter. ISBE has determined that in these cases, the federal sanctions will be imposed in consecutive order and be required of schools in status only in those years the school is receiving Title I services.

If a school is removed from Title I service for whatever reason during any particular year in the span of years for which the AYP for the school is being determined, no federal sanction will be imposed on that school during that year. State sanctions, as appropriate for the number of consecutive years the school has not made AYP, will still apply.

If a school is placed into Title I service or restored to Title I service, the sequence of the application of federal sanctions starts over again with Choice in the school year following the school’s not making AYP for two consecutive years while in Title I.

l         Example #1

Five Trees School did not make AYP in 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, and 2005-2006. Its district puts the school into Title I for 2005-2006. In this instance, no federal sanctions apply.

l         Example #2

Red Brick School did not make AYP in 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, and 2005-2006. It was a Title I school in 2002-2003 and 2003-2004. It was removed from Title I for 2004-2005 to avoid having to offer Choice. In 2005-2006, the district was compelled to put the school back into Title I for that school year. No federal sanction applies in 2005-2006, nor will any apply in 2006-2007 even if the school is in Title I for 06-07. Choice would have to be offered in 2007-2008 if the 2006-2007 spring testing shows that the school failed to make AYP and the school remains in Title I Service in both 2006-2007 and 2007-2008.

l         Example #3

Utopia School did not make AYP in 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2007-2008, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010. It was a Title I school in 2002-2003, 2003-2004, and 2004-2005 and was required to offer Choice in 2004-2005. It was not eligible for Title I funds in school year 2005-2006, so no federal sanctions apply in 05-06. It is restored to Title I service in 2006-2007. No federal sanctions apply in 2006-2007 or in 2007-2008 although the school is Title I in both of those years and has not made AYP. The school must offer Choice again in 2008-2009 if it is in Title I in that year, and Choice and SES in 2009-2010 if the school was in Title I in 2006-2007, 2007-2008, and 2008-2009.

Any time a district takes a school out of Title I service, the sequence of the application of federal sanctions is reset. The sequence does not restart until the school has been in Title I for three consecutive years and has not made AYP for the first two consecutive years of those three years.

No Child Left Behind (NCLB) data collection

NCLB Choice and Supplemental Educational Services (IWAS)

Under NCLB districts that are required to implement Public School Choice and Supplemental Educational Services (SES) must report the number of participating students and schools. This is pursuant to Section 1111(h)(4)(F) of the No Child Left Behind Act. Please complete the NCLB Choice and Supplemental Educational Services Data (SES) form for FY 2005 in IWAS.

Districts completing SES information must also fill out the Monitoring SES Providers form for FY 2005 through NCLB Choice and Supplemental Educational Services.

Both submissions are due April 15, 2005.

Early Childhood Block Grant RFPs released

Two Early Childhood Block Grant FY 2006 Requests for Proposals (RFP) for new funds have been released.  For FY 2006, the Early Childhood Block Grant for new funds has been separated into two RFPs, one for ages three to five years and one for birth to age three years. 

The Early Childhood Block Grant for Ages Three to Five Years:  New Learning Partners – 2006 includes the Pre-Kindergarten Program for Children at Risk of Academic Failure initiative and the Model Early Childhood Parental Training (three to five) initiative.  The Early Childhood Block Grant for Birth to Age Three Years:  Early Learning Partners – 2006 includes the Prevention Initiative for Programs Offering Coordinated Services to At Risk Children and Their Families initiative and the Model Early Childhood Parental Training (birth to three years) initiative.

Public school districts, university laboratory schools approved by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), charter schools, area vocational centers and other entities are eligible to submit a proposal.  Applicants other than public school districts must provide evidence of existing competencies to provide early childhood education programs.

The RFPs are available online at http://www.isbe.net/earlychi/html/block_grant.htm

The RFPs can also be obtained by contacting the Early Childhood Division at 217/524-4835.

ECBG bidders’ conferences will be held for both RFPs.  Attendance at a bidders’ conference is recommended but is not required.  Security procedures require photo identification for entry at each location.

Springfield                                                                   Chicago

IEA - Professional Development Center                         James R. Thompson Center

3440 Liberty Drive                                                        100 West Randolph

Thursday, March 10, 2005                                              Thursday, March 17, 2005

10 a.m. to Noon                                                            10 a.m. to Noon

Board Room                                                                 Concourse, Auditorium

Should the conditions of this RFP change as a result of the bidders' conferences, the State Board of Education will notify all RFP recipients of the changes.

Early Childhood Block Grant continuation applications go electronic

Continuing applications for the Early Childhood Block Grant (ECBG) will be offered through the Electronic Grant Management System (eGMS) for school year 2005-2006 (FY 2006).  All Early Childhood Block Grant programs funded in FY 2005 will apply online for their FY 2006 continuation grant funds.  Two ECBG continuation grant applications will be available – a birth to three application and a three to five application.  Applicants will complete both applications if they are authorized to offer programs for birth to three and three to five.  Applicants will be notified of the availability of the Early Childhood Block Continuation Grants via the Superintendent’s Weekly Message and on the Early Childhood Block Grant webpage http://www.isbe.net/earlychi/html/block_grant.htm  The grant applications are expected to become available during the second half of March.

Continuation application training sessions will be provided on the following dates:

Chicago

March 17, 2005 - 1 to 3 p.m.  

James R. Thompson Center, Concourse, Auditorium

100 West Randolph

Springfield

March 21, 2005 - 1 to 3 p.m.

IEA – Professional Development Center, Board Room

3440 Liberty Drive

Mt. Vernon

April 6, 20051 to 3 p.m.

Prince of Peace Lutheran Church

3205 Broadway (Route 15)

If you have questions, please contact the Early Childhood Division at 217/524-4835.

School Breakfast:  Great Performances

The 16th Annual National School Breakfast Week (NSBW) March 7 through 11 raises awareness about the availability of school breakfast for all students and draws attention to the correlation of eating a good breakfast and cognitive growth. This year’s theme, School Breakfast: Great Performances, highlights the academic contribution school breakfast can make.

The Childhood Hunger Relief Act, signed by Gov. Rod Blagojevich this month,  requires all Illinois schools in which at least 40 percent of the students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunches must also provide a breakfast meal. For further information on the Childhood Hunger Relief Act, visit www.isbe.net/nutrition

Visit the school nutrition association’s website at http://www.asfsa.org/nsbw/ for NSBW menus, recipes, logos, graphics and proclamations.

Summer course for Spanish teachers

The Fundacion Jose Ortega y Gasset has announced the Summer Course for Spanish Teachers in Madrid July 4 through 22, 2005. The course is organized with the Spanish Embassy in Washington D.C. The University of Minnesota offers four semester graduate credits for this course. Information is available at http://www.ortegaygasset.edu/extranjeros/cursos/norteamerica/espahoy/principal.htm. For further details, email cursos.profesores@fog.es

Conference on sexual exploitation of teens by older partners

The U.S. Department of Health and Human will hold a national conference on issues related to protecting teens from sexual exploitation by older partners. The conference will take place March 23-24, 2005 in Alexandria, Virginia.

The conference goals include:

·         Providing a forum in which government officials, national youth-focused organizations and service providers can engage in multi-disciplinary discussions about protecting teens from exploitive relationships with older partners;

·         Gaining a better understanding from existing research about exploitive relationships between teens and their older sexual partners and to explore data and research gaps that, when improved, can lead to better prevention and protective interventions;

·         Discussing current programs and laws designed to protect teens, including reporting sexual assault and sexual exploitation of teens and management of these cases; and

·         Building collaboration and communication among law enforcement, health, education and social services providers relating to helping teens resist and reject exploitive relationships.

The conference will begin at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, March 23, and will adjourn by noon on Thursday, March 24. It will be held at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center Hotel in Alexandria, Virginia.

Hotel reservations must be made by Wednesday, March 9. After that date, reservations may be priced at a higher rate and will be based on availability.

Invitations to the conference have been extended to policymakers at the national, state and local levels and to select interest groups, associations and foundations.

For more information about the conference and to register, please visit www.esi-conference.info

Weekly News Clips

This week’s news clips may be viewed at http://www.isbe.net/news/2005/newsclips/050225.htm.