Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 3:34 PM
To: STATESUP
Subject: Special Message for Title I Directors and District Superintendents
TO:       Title I Directors

District Superintendents 

RE:       Supplemental Education Services

DATE:   August 5, 2005

Supplemental Educational Services (SES) are a part of the student remediation efforts contained in the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.  In general, SES is required when a school does not meet its Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for three consecutive years, and it involves tutorial programs provided to students outside normal school hours.  Parents register their children in a program, an Individualized Tutorial Plan is developed for each child, and the tutoring begins.  SES is paid for through a set-aside from a district’s Title I funds.

Behind this SES outline, however, are a number of components, including the approval of SES providers, the monitoring of student attendance and curriculum content in the programs, the billing districts for services by the providers, and the confirmation of the effectiveness of the providers by assessing student improvement.  For some time, ISBE has been moving towards a more comprehensive way of providing federally required oversight for some of these components and of providing additional assistance to districts and parents regarding the provision of SES in Illinois generally.

I am pleased to announce that a number of these pieces have come together now.  The Board approved a formal plan at its June 2005 meeting.  As a visible part of this plan, we also offer to districts a toolkit that agency staff has created to provide districts with some basic documents and language for local SES efforts.  The formal plan (in the form of a memorandum to Title I Directors) and the toolkit may be accessed at a redesigned ISBE SES webpage:

http://www.isbe.net/nclb/htmls/sesp.htm

In the next few weeks, we also will be sending out provider financial information to all districts that the districts should use when entering into 2005-06 contracts with SES providers.

While the toolkit contains useful items, I want to emphasize that it is symbolic of this whole change in ISBE’s approach to SES:  this is an evolving process.  We will be tweaking the toolkit, we will be responding to your concerns and interests, and we will be creating other website tools for you.  We want to be a model for other states in how SES is structured, and we want it to work as well as possible for our children.  Please bear with us as we experiment and grow, and please share with us your ideas and suggestions.

Randy Dunn