Be Internet Safe
Without specific endorsement, the Illinois State Board of Education provides a link at the bottom of this page to a variety of Internet Safety curriculum resources and materials. As specified under Illinois School Code Section 5, “beginning with the 2009-2010 school year, a school district must incorporate into the school curriculum a component on Internet safety to be taught at least once each school year to students in grade 3 or above.”
Internet Safety Act
The theme for the 11-12 contest was Bystander Intervention. The goal? Encourage students that witness bullying to take action against it!
2011-12 Contest Winners Announced!
State Superintendent Koch, Attorney General Madigan and Lt. Gov. Simon recognize the best poster and electronic projects promoting online safety
- 3rd Annual Contest
- 2nd Annual Contest
- 1st Annual Contest
Prior Contest Winners Press Releases
Internet Safety Best Practices
Many districts in the state are offering Internet Safety curriculum and activities for their students. Illinois State Board of Education encourages school districts to send us your best practices in Internet Safety.
Some of the best practices will be posted on our website for other school districts to view. Please send your information in Microsoft Office or Adobe Acrobat format to Jamey Baiter at email@example.com.
- Champaign Unit 4
- Collinsville Community Unit School District 10
- Community High School District 128
- Community Unit District 95
- Galesburg CUSD 205
- School District 129
- Urbana School District 16
Internet Safety Resources
Illinois, National, and Cyberbullying resources available for School Districts to help in locating Internet safety information. Illinois State Board of Education in no way endorses the content of these sites.
- Illinois Association of School Boards
- Illinois Attorney General Internet Safety: Online Safety Tips
- Illinois Attorney General - Illinois Crimes Against Children
- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan Kids’ Page
- Illinois Attorney General – Safe Guarding Children Internet Safety
- "Illinois Attorney General Madigan Offers New Internet Safety Initiative as Students Head Back to School" Press Release
- Illinois Library Association – Net Safety
- ISBE School Safety and Emergency Response
- Illinois State Police Internet Crimes Unit
The Illinois State Police will do school assemblies for any grade. Contact your local area State Police Office.
- ISBE Health/Life Safety
- Ready Illinois – Before an Emergency – Cyber Safety
- Cyber Crime
- FBI-SOS (Safe Online Surfing) Internet Challenge
- Kids' Privacy
- National Criminal Justice Service
- Net SmartzTeens
- New eBook—Keeping Students Safe Online (registration required)
- On Guard Online Social Networking Parent Guide
- PTA Organization Internet Safety
- Safe Surfing
- Cyberbully Help
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
- PTA Organization Bullying
- PTA Organization Cyberbully
- Illinois Attorney General