Alternative Certification Programs
In 1999, Illinois established alternative routes to certification for individuals who hold a degree from an accredited college and related work experience.
There are three alternative certification routes for preparing teachers and an administrative route for preparing school superintendents.
- Alternative Teacher Certification (105 ILCS 5/21-5b)
- Alternative Route to Teacher Certification (105 ILCS 5/21-5c)
- Resident Teacher Certification Programs (IAC Section 25.442)
- Alternative Route to Administrative Certification (105 ILCS 5/21-5d)
An overview of the alternative and resident teacher certification program requirements, program comparison charts, and enrollment information are provided in the following documents:
- Illinois Alternative and Resident Teacher Certification Programs fact sheet
- Comparison Chart of Illinois Alternative and Resident Teacher Programs
- Enrollment Information and Comparison of Traditional and Alternative Programs
To offer an alternative certification program, Illinois accredited colleges and universities must have an approved teacher preparation program in the certification area and receive State Board approval for the alternative route program. The Directory of Approved Programs for the Preparation of Educational Personnel in Illinois Higher Education provides a detailed listing of approved programs offered by the 60 accredited institutions.
Additional Sources of Information: