Proposed legislation may change the renewal requirements for the professional educator license beginning July 1, 2014, so please check back to this website regularly after January 1, 2014 for the latest information. If you are working on a professional educator license with a teaching endorsement, continue to engage in professional development activities for renewal during the 2013-2014 school year. Maintain evidence of completion for two years after your license renewal date in case you are audited.
Individuals working in a position that requires a professional educator license with an administrative endorsement may be required to complete one Administrator’s Academy course for fiscal year 2014 depending on the passage of new legislation.
School Support Personnel are not required to complete professional development for fiscal year 2014. Illinois educators are strongly advised to monitor the ISBE Educator Licensure webpage for ongoing information about Illinois educator licensure. Please contact your regional office of education if you have additional questions.
If I hold a substitute license, will I need to pass a test of basic skills to renew my license at the end of its five-year cycle?
Yes, if you have never passed a test of basic skills for a previous Illinois certificate/license, you will need to pass it before your substitute license can be renewed. The following tests can be used to meet the basic skills requirement:
- Former Illinois Basic Skills test
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP 400)
- ACT Plus Writing (with a composite score of 22 or higher)
- SAT (with a score of 1030 or higher in critical reading + math)
An individual who has passed a test of basic skills for the first substitute licensure renewal is not required to retake the test for further renewals.
- CPDU Values and Professional Development Requirements for Renewal of Educator Licenses - 2013-14 (12/13)
- Part 25 Educator Licensure
- Important Information Regarding the Transition from Certificate Renewal to License Renewal (5/22/14)
- Procedures for Renewing Educator Licenses - Coming Soon!
- Purposes for Professional Development