For Immediate Release
October 25, 2010
Illinois State Board of Education holds FY 2012 Budget Hearing in Springfield
SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) is hosting a public hearing on the FY 2012 Budget at 3 p.m. Wednesday, October 27 at the agency headquarters in Springfield. The hearing is the second of six budget hearings the Board’s Finance and Audit Committee is convening this fall around the state.
As they consider the next year’s budget, the Board invites the general public, appointed and elected officials, candidates and organizations to respond to the following questions:
- The State Board has prioritized General State Aid, mandated categoricals, such as special education and transportation, and early childhood, as budget priorities in the past. Should this focus continue during tough economic times?
- The state has been unable to provide timely payments to districts for two consecutive years, thus making local planning difficult. What actions should be taken to address this situation?
- In each of the last two years, the state budget has been supplemented by $1 billion from federal stimulus funds. How should education expenditures change in the future with likely reduced federal spending, but no decrease in federally mandated programs? Should the state impose cost savings due to these reduced federal funds or leave cuts to the discretion of local districts?
Those who are unable to attend one of the six public hearings are encouraged to email responses to the guiding questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Finance and Audit Committee FY 2012 Budget Hearings will be accessible to persons with disabilities. Persons planning to attend who need special accommodations should contact the Board office no later than the day before the meeting they wish to attend. Contact the Superintendent's office at the State Board of Education, Phone: 217-782-2221; TTY/TDD: 217-782-1900; Fax: 217-785-3972.
- Wednesday, October 27, 2010 — 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Springfield — ISBE Office, 4th floor Board Room, 100 N. First Street, Springfield
A previous hearing was held in Chicago. The following is a list of future meetings on the FY2012 state education budget:
- Wednesday, November 3, 2010 — 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. — Mundelein — Carl Sandberg School Multipurpose Room, Mundelein S.D. #75, 855 W. Hawley Street, Mundelein
- Monday, November 8, 2010 — 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Belleville — St. Clair County Regional Office of Education, 1000 S. Illinois Street, Belleville
- Monday, November 15, 2010 — 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — DeKalb — DeKalb County Regional Office of Education, 2500 N. Annie Glidden Rd., DeKalb
- Tuesday, November 30, 2010 — 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Champaign — Champaign Public Library, Robeson Pavilion, Room C, 200 W. Green Street, Champaign