For Immediate Release
March 3, 2011
State Superintendent celebrates success of 19 Fox Valley Honor Roll Schools
Annual list recognizes improving and high-performing schools across state
St. Charles — Illinois State Superintendent of Education Christopher A. Koch recognized 19 Tri-City schools today for being named to the 2010 Illinois Honor Roll. The schools were honored during a school assembly at Munhall Elementary School in St. Charles.
“This is a remarkable list of 19 schools that have all sustained high performance over at least three years,” said State Superintendent Koch. “This kind of academic achievement requires that everyone at school and at home is working extraordinarily hard to keep growing and learning. We commend administrators, teachers, parents and students for their commitment.”
The 2010 Illinois Honor Roll recognizes 834 schools across the state for their continued academic progress. The honor roll is divided into three categories – Spotlight Schools, Academic Excellence and Academic Improvement. Each award has unique criteria that best reflect the diverse circumstances of Illinois schools.
- Spotlight Schools – Recognizes 300 high-poverty, high-performing schools that are beating the odds to overcome the achievement gap.
- Academic Excellence Awards – 459 schools have sustained high performance over at least three years.
- Academic Improvement Awards – 93 schools are showing substantial improvement.
All 19 Tri-City schools received Academic Excellence Awards. They are:
Batavia Unit School District 101:
- Alice Gustafson Elementary School
- JB Nelson Elementary School
- Louise White Elementary School
- Grace McWayne Elementary School
- Hoover Wood Elementary School
Geneva CUSD 304:
- Geneva Middle School South
- Heartland Elementary School
- Williamsburg Elementary School
- Harrison Street Elementary School
- Western Avenue Elementary School
- Mill Creek School
St Charles CUSD 303:
- Haines Middle School
- Lincoln Elementary School
- Munhall Elementary School
- Wasco Elementary School
- Ferson Creek School
- Fox Ridge School
- Bell-Graham Elementary School
- Norton Creek Elementary School
A complete listing of the 2010 Illinois Honor Roll Schools can be found online at http://www.ilhonorroll.niu.edu