Nutrition and Wellness Programs
Rules Part 305 School Food Service
The School Food Service Rules (23 Illinois Administrative Code 305), effective October 17, 2006, establish food and beverage requirements for items sold to students in grades 8 and below before or during the school day, clarify the Illinois Free Lunch and Breakfast Program requirements for all public schools, establish procedures for student workers in the food service area, and clarify state requirements for government-donated commodities.
The links below provide updated information and technical assistance in implementing the amended rules.
- School Food Service Rules (23 Illinois Administrative Code 305)
- Guidance Document on School Food Service Rules (Updated July 2007)
- Questions and Answers on Part 305 (Updated 11/13/06)
- Submit questions on Part 305 to Nutrition Programs staff
- PowerPoint Presentation on School Food Service Rules Part 305
- Illinois Food Requirement Calculator