- ISBE Non-Regulatory Guidance Page
- ISBE Guidance 15-09: IDEA Proportionate Share Services for Parentally Placed Nonpublic
Students with Disabilities (11/15)
- ISBE Guidance 15-02: Self-Administration and Self-Carry of Medications for Asthma and Allergy (PA 98-0795)(4/15)
- Guidance - Exception to the 1% Cap for Alternate Assessment (March 2015)
- Guidance: School Enrollment and Placement Guidelines for Children and Youth in DCFS Care (January 2014)
- ISBE Guidance 13-15: IDEA Proportionate Share Services for Parentally Placed Nonpublic Students with Disabilities (April 2013) - replaced by Guidance Document 15-09 (November 2015)
- ISBE Guidance 13-16: Documenting Common Core State Standards on the Individualized Education Program(April 2013)
- ISBE Guidance 13-12: Diabetes Awareness Day (PA 97-0819)(February 2013)
- ISBE Guidance 13-13: Safety Education: Training in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) for Students in Grades 6-8 (PA 97-714) (February 2013)
- ISBE Guidance 13-14: Service Animals: Miniature (PA 97-0956) (February 2013)
- ISBE Guidance 12-03: Public Act 97-0495: Transfer of Students to Regional Safe School and Alternative Learning Opportunity Programs (August 2012)
- Guidance: Initial Evaluations for Special Education and Related Services for Children Ages Three through Five (March 2012)
- ISBE Guidance 10-2 Relating to Transitioning from Early Intervention to Early Childhood Special Education Services when Children Turn Three (Memo #10-2) (October 2010)
- ISBE Guidance Relating to Changes to Special Education Cooperative Articles of Agreement Required by PA 96-0769 and PA 96-0783 (Memo #10-1) (Updated April 2015)
- ISBE Guidance 12-04: Illinois Special Education Eligibility and Entitlement Procedures and Criteria within a Response to Intervention (RtI) Framework (Updated August 2012)
- Development of IEPS For Students With Autism Spectrum Disorders (Memo #08-1) (Implementation of Public Act 095-0257) (July 2008)
- Guidance on Special Education Class Size for 2009-2010 and Beyond (23 Illinois Administrative Code 226.730(b) and (c)) (September 2001)
- Guidance: Recommended Guidelines for Medication Administration in Schools (September 2000)
- ISBE Guidance 09-01: Court and Agency Placements Guidance for School Districts
The passage of Public Acts 95-0844, effective August 15, 2008, and 95-0938, effective August 29, 2008, clarifies responsibility for payment of educational services provided to students placed in residential facilities. This guidance is intended to assist districts in determining responsibility for payment under the funding structure established by these Acts and provide preliminary information relative to implementation of the reimbursement requirements established by this legislation.
- Additional Clarification Regarding Proportionate Share Obligations (Memo #08-2)
September 2008, the State Board of Education sent a memo
to local district superintendents and local directors of special
education providing clarification on issues related to the non-public
proportionate share obligation.
Education Non-Public Proportionate Share Calculation
and Home-Schooled Students (Memo #06-3).
In April 2006, the State Board of Education sent a memo
to local district superintendents and local directors of special
education providing information on issues related to the non-public
proportionate share calculation.
on Special Education Support for Parentally-Placed Private
School Students for the 2006-07 School Year (Memo #06-2).
The following memorandum will serve as further supplementation of ISBE’s
Guidance Memorandum #05-7, issued August 11, 2005, as well as this agency’s
supplemental guidance on private school students with disabilities, issued
on April 21, 2006.
with Disabilities in Regional Safe School Programs -
April 21, 2006 (Memo #06-1).
This memorandum updates
a November 8, 2001 memorandum on the placement of, and
provision of services to, students with Individualized
Education Programs (IEPs) in Regional Safe Schools Programs
- Private Residential Placement Form and Timelines
November 2, 2005
105 ILCS 5/14-7.02 addresses the issue of children attending private schools,
public out-of-state schools, public school residential facilities or private
special education facilities. (Memo #05-10)
Guidance Information to Memorandum #05-7 (August
11, 2005) Regarding the Non-public Proportionate Share
- Guidance for Compliance with P.A. 94-0376 (SB 87) (Memo #05-8) - August 12, 2005
"The recent enactment of P.A. 94-0376 resulted in changes to
105 ILCS/14-8.02(b) of the School Code regarding IEP development for students with hearing impairments or vision impairments.
- Interim Guidance for Special Education Services for Parentally Placed Private School Children with Disabilities (Memo #05-7) - August 11, 2005
The new Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement
Act of 2004 (IDEA 2004) made some significant changes to requirements
for the provision of special education and related services
to parentally placed private school children with disabilities.
Discretionary Projects (Memo #05-6)- August 9, 2005
The purpose of this memorandum is to clarify information about
statewide discretionary projects, and to encourage the purchase
of services from our discretionary projects.
School Year Services for Students with Disabilities
- July 26, 2005
The purpose of this memorandum is to provide a reminder
regarding the legal requirements related to the provision
of extended school year (ESY) services for students with disabilities.
- Extended School Year for Students with Disabilities - November 20, 2001
- Interim Changes to Due
Process and Disciplinary Procedures under IDEA 2004 (Memo #05-5)
- July 12, 2005
The New Individuals With Disabilities Education Improvement
Act of 2004 (IDEA 2004) contains an array of significant changes
to Due Process and Discipline of students with disabilities.
- Obligations of States and Local Education Agencies to Parentally-Placed
Private School Children with Disabilities - OSEP 05-09
- June 27, 2005
The focus of this memorandum is to provide guidance to States
and LEAS in complying with the following requirements in 20
U.S.C. 1412(a)(10) of IDEA 2004.
Department of Education's proposed regulations for the Individuals
with Disabilities Education Improvement Act
These were published on June 21, 2005 and were available
for public comment to the US Department of Education through
September 6, 2005.
Services and Placement Determination for Students Who Are
Deaf or Hard of Hearing (Memo #05-4)- June 10, 2005
The purpose of this memorandum is to provide guidance regarding
the services and placement of students we are deaf and hard
of Services for Students Identified As Having Vision Impairments
or Hearing Impairments - June 10, 2005
This communication is intended to provide clarification and
consistency regarding the document of services for students
identified as having vision impairments or hearing impairments.
- Reimbursement to School
Districts for Co-teaching Personnel - February 16, 2005
The purpose of this memorandum is to provide clarification
regarding reimbursement to school districts for special education
certified and non-certified personnel involved in the instruction
of both general education and special education students.
- Applicability of Title I Requirements Relating to the Qualifications of
Paraprofessionals under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 - December 30, 2004
This memorandum is intended to clarify the application of
the requirements under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
(NCLB) to paraprofessionals.
- Compliance with State and Federal Regulations Regarding Psychological
Counseling and Mental Health Services - March 18,
This purpose of this memorandum is to provide guidance to
school districts to ensure that children with behavioral or
emotional disabilities (ED) are receiving all of the related
services that they need, including psychological counseling
services, as part of a free appropriate public education in
the least restrictive environment.
Appropriate Procedures for Determining Placement in the Least
Restrictive Environment and Identifying and Providing Appropriate
Special Education and Related Services - April 10,
During the weeks of October 15, 2001, and April 22, 2002,
the US Department of Education, Office of Special Education
Programs (OSEP) conducted a monitoring review in Illinois
for the purposes of assessing compliance in the implementation
of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
and assisting the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
in developing strategies to improve results for children with
with Disabilities in Regional Safe Schools Programs
- November 8, 2001
This memorandum is sent to clarify the responsibilities of
school districts and special education cooperatives in providing
services to students with Individual Education Programs (IEPs)
enrolled in the Regional Safe Schools Program (RSSP) and in
meeting relevant reporting requirements.